Background


Friday, November 4, 2011

Are we cat people????

I would definitely consider our whole family to be animal lovers. But I've found that even animal lovers fall into one of three categories....dog people, cat people, or dog AND cat people. Mike and I fall into the dog people category. I like cats. I think they're cute and I'll pet them...BUT I'm NOT a cat person. Cats have lots of good qualities. I just prefer cats to belong to someone else. I know I'm opening up a whole can of worms with all the cat people but I'm just not a fan of the litter boxes, the smug attitudes, how they climb on everything and to be honest...they just don't mind like dogs. When I call them, I want them to come now...not when they "feel" like it. This all being said, Mike and I find ourselves in a position where we have to decide if we could be cat people.
Our boys have both followed Mom and Dad and are dog people through and through. Now Mikaela on the other hand is a cat person and has been since she knew what a cat was. She likes Kelsey because Kelsey is old and just sits there...Hailey on the other hand she barely tolerates with all her obnoxiousness. She much prefers the prim and proper prissiness of cats hands down. She's been begging us to let her get a cat for years to which she always got an emphatic no response....which leads us to our predicament.
There has been a beautiful siamese cat wandering our neighborhood for about a week now. Mikaela noticed her right away but we told her to leave the cat alone. I originally thought she belonged to our new neighbors but sadly she does not and is either lost or abandoned and no one in our neighborhood knows where she belongs. I still made Mikaela leave her alone. I could tell she wanted to make friends and I didn't want to encourage that...I wanted her to go back home...or for SOMEONE ELSE to take pity on her and take her in. No such luck. For 3 days she would follow me to the mailbox and I stood firm and ignored her. I did good until our first really cold night where our low was supposed to be 26 degrees and she was meowing outside at the top of her lungs. I SWEAR that cat knew we were suckers from the beginning and we would eventually cave because I did and brought her in to Mike's horror. The kids quickly were in chorus to keep her which we immediately shot down and took her to the vet to see if she's microchipped. No such luck. I've called vets, the pound, the paper, driven around Ventana Ranch looking for lost cat signs...it doesn't seem like anyone is missing this darn cat.
In the meantime...the kids, especially Mikaela are quickly falling madly in love with her and it's mutual. They're getting attached faster than I know what to do with her. Mikaela carries that cat around with her EVERYWHERE. They're quickly becoming inseparable.
So now Mike and I are deciding if we let Mikaela keep her or if we find her a home elsewhere. We've gotten a few offers because she's such a good cat and she's absolutely gorgeous. I've always teased that if I ever got a cat it would have to act like a dog and she almost does.
So...the question is....can we become cat people??? We're still not sure. I don't know if I can get past the litter box and Hailey is obnoxious enough all on her own...with this cat in the house we might need to straightjacket her.
We must love Mikaela a lot to even consider this....but as you can see by the picture...we'd better decide quick. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment